Saturday, March 11, 2006

It's heavenly smelling or what?




Did you notice that when you walk down a shopping centre picking up the scent of freshly baked bread, coffee at Starbucks, the smell of durian or even popcorns, you will find yourself longing to eat these things. You will feel an appetite for food. I feel that somehow good food and smell seem to be linked to one another. But then on the other hand this does not necessarily mean that everything that smells good also tastes good right? For example, a rose smells so good, but it does not taste very good. But I guess whether a food product is edible or not is usually determined by its smell. After all burnt or rotten food does not smell very good. Ahhhhhhh……. It can be confusing. When I go to the market to buy seafood, the place stinks. When I am shelling the prawns or scaling the fish, the smell is not pleasant either. But the seafood taste fantastic after cooking! The smell of durian or some cheeses (like sweaty feet) can kill you but it taste so heavenly.But then I think whether people think something smell bad is very personal and culture related. Not everybody likes durian or asafoetida. And food that is tasty to some people, may smell terrible to people of another culture.We have heard of people saying 'you are what you eat'. I think this is so true! Try eating one teaspoon of fenugreek daily for 1 month and your whole body including your head will smell of fish curry! You will smell like what you eat. You may not know what you smell like but those around you who eat food that are different from yours will notice it. That’s why we hear remarks that “she always smell like curry” or “the Caucasian smells of butter and cheese” or the “Punjabis smell of ghee” etc. People who eat a lot of garlic will smell garlicky. So there you are, the next time you meet someone, focus on her smell and guess what she has been eating before she saw you I am very sensitive to smell. I notice stale foods, strong flavours or even the difference between different brands of flavoured foods. I can notice small changes o flavour and smell in food. But I have met people who never noticed the smell of food. The smell of petrol and paint can nauseate or kill me on the spot if I don’t move away from the situation. These smells can cause adverse reaction in my body eg. give me a terrible headache or cause me to vomit. My friends and relatives think I am overly fussy. It’s very difficult not to notice smells. What do you think?

8 comments:

BDSN said...

Hi Devagi..
Welcome to the food blogging world. You seem to have a very different approach to food and cooking..Very Very interesting..Looking forward to read more good stuff from your blog..Pls do visit my site...

Pandhu said...

you remind of thomas harris's smell. well it is both a blessing and a curse to be so sensitive to smell...
I am not very sensitive to smell, although i wish i was. There was a period of time i tried to train my nostrils to detect wine vapours.

smiley said...

mmmmm... the smell of durian is very ...(can't find the exact word to describe it mebbe yucky) to me... i keep far away fro it. my friend forced me to try it out. my heart said no, my brain said no, my body said no, but just to please my friend i just licked once. nooooooooooo!!! my friend said it would be ok if i tried a piece. finally i agreed and had 1 piece and for days my body was smelling of durian... sweating durian... wasting durian...
Chef,
my smell is directly proprtional to my taste.
One day everyone was saying i smelt nice (choclaty :) )everyone was very nice to me. I tried to reproduce the same fragrance... no luck
mebbe you can tell me the secret
need to get some cooking tips from you one of these days

Menu Today said...

Hi Devagi,
Welcome to the world of blogs. You have started off with interesting things.
Have watched you on TV and good to know you through the blogs.
Find time, take a look into my foodblog at menutoday.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'm gonna learn a lot from this blog. I'm very sure of it.

lost in thoughts said...

Cool. You're a real chef blogging about Food. I am sure I'll get to learn a lot from you.

Please drop in on my blog sometime.

Regards,
Sonali

lost in thoughts said...

Very interesting post. About smell :

You're so right : different people smell different.

Especially our Indian flavors are so strong, they stick on to your clothes...even the ones in the closet :). And if you're frying fish (especially 'real' ones not fillets or frozen) the smells coats just about everything including the furtinure. I find it more so in countries with cold climate like USA, smells become more pronounced in cold weather.

Body odor (of various ethinicities), in addition due to external causes also is, it seems because each person's sweat will have different odor due to the foods we consume. Hence Indians smell of curry etc.

-Sonali

kesavan said...

hmmm.....my friend smells of garlic should i tell him? anyway for me i can't take the smell of mango...after smelling it i might just vomit or have a very bad headache...n i love the smell of petrol espcially diesel.....areh areh great!