Saturday, March 18, 2006

Chocolates, women's favourite


Since I was a kid, I always liked chocolates. I realized that most of my brothers were never interested in chocolates the way my sisters and I were. I used to wonder if this is so because of ‘culture’. We seldom give chocolates as a gift to men but women are so used to receiving chocolates. What is it about chocolate that is so wonderful? I believe you enjoy chocolate just as much as me right? It always feels so nice to have it melted in your mouth, delivering its wonderful taste right through your tongue, right?
Chocolate is the perfect mix of sugar and fat to turn on almost every appetite triggering nerve chemical in the brain. The sugar in chocolate sparks the release of a nerve chemical called serotonin and might lower another nerve chemical called NPY; the end result is a sense of well-being – the way we always feel when eating chocolates. The sweet taste also releases endorphins in the brain, giving us an immediate euphoric rush. The fat in chocolate enhances flavour and aroma.
Chocolate contains caffeine that provides a mental boost and phenylethylamine which stimulates the nervous system, increases blood pressure and heart rate, and is suspected to produce similar feelings experienced when a person is "in love." Chocolate also contains a substance called anandamide that sort of gives you the effects of marijuana and boosts the pleasure you get when you eat chocolate hahahha……….
My friend a food writer argues with me that craving for chocolate is really the body's craving for nutrients, such as magnesium. But I argued with her that if that is the case than why don’t people crave for peanuts or other magnesium-rich foods? I think that chocolate cravings usually can be satisfied only by chocolate.
Sinful is how women has always described chocolate. But despite that it seems that 99% of all women love chocolate. As for me, I need to go for a Kit Kat break now! mmmmmmmm………..you want some?

5 comments:

lost in thoughts said...

"My friend a food writer argues with me that craving for chocolate is really the body's craving for nutrients, such as magnesium."

---Ha ha...thats really funny...chocolate is YUMMY...so I crave it :) dont want no magnesium...

"I think that chocolate cravings usually can be satisfied only by chocolate."

--Amen to that !

Shalini said...

gr8 write up agreed that chocolates are the best... that gives u the instant energy that nothing else can replace with...

smiley said...

Sure, I would love to have some chocolate, but Cadbury's please :)

sathya said...

cool yaar..let me give more chocolate to my GF
:-)

kesavan said...

i think 99% of women wud love to receive diamonds than to have chocolates...tis is my personal opinion haha... but chocolates are great!!